Balanced Dukes Conference
Monday, March 4
Festival Conference and Student Center
The 2nd annual Balanced Dukes Conference is only a few weeks away! Sessions are filling up quickly; we encourage you to register soon.
Payroll Services | Dollars & Sense
2018 W2’s were mailed from James Madison University on January 22nd to the address on file in MyMadison under the Employee tab, as of January 15, 2019 at noon. (W2’s were not mailed to active employees that consented to receive their W2 electronically.)
General Guide to Sections of your W-2
Why is my reported W-2 earnings different than my paycheck gross earnings/salary?
What to do if you do not receive your W-2 timely
Our goal with the Benefits Broadcast is to feature a specific benefit each month. This month’s featured benefit is...
SmartShopper is a voluntary, confidential health care shopping and savings program that works with the Commonwealth of Virginia COVA Care Health Plan and the COVA High Deductible Health Plan. With SmartShopper, you and your covered family members shop for certain medical services via phone, web or mobile device. When you choose to have your procedure at a better-value facility on the SmartShopper list, you earn a reward.
So how does it work?
1. Your doctor recommends an eligible medical service. Examples of services include ultrasounds, mammograms, tests such as MRIs and CT scans, surgeries, etc.
2. Visit cova.vitalssmartshopper.com to register for an account. Enter your Anthem ID as it is presented on your insurance card.
Call the SmartShopper Personal Assistant Team (PAT) at 1-844-277-8991 before you have the eligible procedure. The Personal Assistant will help you: understand options; guide you to the best-value care; look at preferences for convenience, cost and quality; and schedule appointments as well as handle reauthorizations.
3. You have the procedure at the high-value location of your choice.
4. Once the claim is paid, SmartShopper verifies that the location qualifies for an incentive and triggers the reward process. Rewards vary from $25 to $500, dependent on the procedure and where you have it done. There is no cap on how many rewards you can earn.
For more information, watch the SmartShopper Video (wait a few seconds for this to load) and the Frequently Asked Questions.
Need to Talk with an Expert?
Did you know that every month, company representatives for your benefits are here on campus in the Wine-Price Building? Below is a list of upcoming dates where you could talk with an expert:
- February 15 – Fidelity, Paul Vutiprichar, Punchai.firstname.lastname@example.org
- February 21 – Valic, Rob Lankard, email@example.com
- February 27 – ICMA-RC, Steven McGregor, JMU Online Scheduling
- March 6 – Aflac, Boyd Glover, firstname.lastname@example.org
- March 6 – New York Life, Debbie Bolen, email@example.com
- March 7 – FIRM, American Funds, Phil Harris, firstname.lastname@example.org
- March 13 – CommonWealth One Federal Credit Union, Melissa Bohl, email@example.com
- March 14 – TIAA-Wealth Management, Antoinette Lucas, Antoinette.firstname.lastname@example.org
- March 18 – TIAA, Christian Pechuekonis, Christian.email@example.com
America Saves Week is a national effort to encourage individuals to set savings goals, plan, and save automatically. Join millions of others who are taking time during America Saves Week to start or grow their personal and retirement savings. Savers with a plan are twice as likely to save successfully for retirement. Start your savings habit during America Saves Week!
Start Saving More Today by: Increasing the amount you contribute to your Commonwealth of Virginia 457 Plan account or 403(b) account at any time, subject to tax code and plan limits.
For 2019, the contribution limit for 457 and 403(b) plans is:
- $19,000 for individuals under age 50
- Additional $6,000 catch-up limit for individuals age 50+
Not enrolled in a 457 or 403(b) plan? Contact the Retirement Specialist to enroll today and start earning free money with the Cash Match! (Cash match available to full-time faculty and staff). Did you know if you are a part-time employee you are able to contribute to a 403(b) or 457 account? Start saving for your retirement today!
Hybrid Plan members: Increase your voluntary contribution once a quarter (next deadline March 15th) or use the new SmartStep tool to annually increase contributions automatically until you reach the maximum.
Already saving for retirement? Experts recommend increasing the amount you save toward retirement by at least 1 percent during America Saves Week.
Attend a retirement training through Talent Development:
- Little Red Corvette (TD2288) 03/12/2019
- Little Red Corvette 2.0 (TD2289) 03/15/2019
- Retirement 101 (TD1212) 05/22/2019
- Social Security 101 (TD2333) 03/06/2019
- Planning for Retirement Today! (TD2265) 03/26/2019
- Pre-Retirement Planning (TD1372) 03/06/2019 & 03/19/2019
VRS Members: log into your myVRS account today and use the Retirement Income Planner to see if you are on track to live comfortably in retirement.
Sign up for a FREE financial counseling session with one of our advisors:
Steve McGregor (VRS Hybrid and 457 plans) On campus: 2/27/19 Schedule online today!
Paul Vutiprichar (Fidelity) On campus: 3/22/19 Schedule online today!
Christian Pechuekonis (TIAA) On campus: 03/18/2019 Schedule online today!
Rob Lankard (Valic)On campus: 02/21/2019 & 03/21/2019 or call 540-820-3601 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule today!
Introducing a NEW workshop being offered through Talent Development!
Are you nearing retirement? Do you have questions about Social Security benefits? Join us for Social Security 101 where we will break down the basics of Social Security retirement benefits and answer all of your questions about this confusing topic. Participants will also learn how to use my Social Security online account and other online services.
Get answers to these common questions:
- When are you eligible to receive Social Security retirement benefits?
- How does early retirement affect your benefits?
- Do you qualify for disability, survivors, and spouse benefits?
- How do you get the most from your benefit?
- What is the future of Social Security?
- When should you file for Medicare?
Registration required! Register to attend this workshop in myMadison.
On March 13, Information Technology will enable DUO in front of the Finance, Human Resources and Student Administration Systems.
Please remember that you have the option of using DUO's "Remember me" functionality to reduce the number of times you are prompted for DUO authentication.
For information on how to set this functionality, see "Remembering a Device" in the User Guide on the Two Factor Authentication (Duo) website or contact the IT Help Desk at 568-3555 or email@example.com.
JMU Talent Development
- Not Everyone Gets a Trophy (TD1741)
- How to Prepare for an Active Shooter Event (TD2100)
- NEW! Building Trust and Transparency (TD2377)
- Developing Your Direct Reports (TD2068)
- Legendary Service: The Key is to Care (TD2081)
- Eat That Frog: Overcoming Procrastination (TD2057)
- NEW! Team Excellence #1: Assess Your Team (TD2339)
- Social Security 101 (TD2333)
- Pre-Retirement Planning (TD1372)
- Little Red Corvette (TD2288)
- Student Employment Essentials (TD1461)
- The Talent Code: Greatness Isn’t Born. It’s Grown. Here’s How. (TD2248)
- No Complaining Rule (TD1344)
- Little Red Corvette 2.0 (TD2289)
Visit Talent Development’s webpage for a listing of all they have to offer!
If you’re looking for a weekly summer camp that teaches your child healthy lifestyle habits, encourages play, helps your child build new skills, and is most of all fun, friendly, and full of new experiences, then UREC at JMU has the camp for you! UREC offers three different summer camp programs to meet the interests and needs of your child. Reserve your spot, Camp UREC fills quickly!
Want to Improve Your Nutrition?
Do you have a goal to improve your nutrition in the New Year? The UREC Nutrition Analysis service provides an opportunity to learn more about your current nutritional status. It includes a computer analysis of your current diet, two meetings with a nutrition analyst, and helpful information designed to help you meet your individual nutritional needs.
JMU Office of Risk Management
Proper office ergonomics - including correct chair height, adequate equipment spacing and good desk posture - can help you and your joints stay comfortable at work.
JMU Giving Day starts March 21, but our success begins with you
As a James Madison University employee, you are a vital part of what makes the Madison Experience so special for our students because you understand: Nothing is more important at JMU than producing educated and enlightened citizens and nothing means more in the world than to see their talents, skills and passion for Being the Change fully Unleashed!
Make a VIP gift before March 15, and you’ll be magnifying your impact on #JMUGIVINGDAY.
OPTION 1 — PICK ANY FUND! Only a limited number of funds will be available on March 21, but your employee status means you can direct your early gift toward any of JMU’s 2,200-plus funds. You get to support the area of JMU that means most to you knowing it will be counted toward the JMU Giving Day totals even if you pick a fund that isn’t available on the big day.
OPTION 2 — GROW THE GIVING DAY CHALLENGE FUND! Directing your early gift to the Giving Day Challenge Fund before March 15 means your gift will inspire community-wide giving. This fund fuels the incentives we’ll be using every hour on March 21st! These incentives work to inspire more people to give throughout the entire 24 hours of JMU Giving Day!
Last year, 5,198 gifts raised more than $700,000 so students could enjoy a more meaningful Madison Experience.
Ready to unleash the positive power of JMU? Make your gift by March 15 at https://j.mu/gdayfs
REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN
Wednesday, March 13, 2019, 8:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M. You can attend for the entire day or choose just what fits into your schedule.
Festival Conference Center and Rose Library
The newly-redesigned Diversity Conference website contains registration details and all the information you’ll need to ensure the conference is welcoming and accessible for all.