"Hey, do you have moment to talk about something?"
Questions I asked:
- Have you been here before?
- How much do you know about weathering and erosion?
- Did you know human activity affects the environment? How so?
- Do you think about impacts when you go hiking or climbing?
- What are some ways we can mitigate our effects out here?
Gaps in knowledge? Paradox?
It was great and a valuable topic. Not enough people think about this and consider it.
Most participants had a good understanding of processes and their contributions to the impact. The majority of them said they get outside to hike or climb at least monthly, even daily. The only ones that lacked fundamental knowledge did not get out very often.
I minimize my impact by staying indoors.
Only one participant did not want to have more of these conversations at the places they go. The reasoning was because the participant was "familiar with how to use our outdoor spaces."