The founders of the original surf clubs at the start of the 20th Century re-invented and resurrected surfing from near extinction, transforming it into a powerful cultural lifestyle force.
Today's mavericks are those who recognize the potential of surf culture to create a new sustainable vision to engage millions to shift to a more sustainable lifestyle.
Photo: The original Hui Nalu Surf Club
Stringer Society members directly support Sustainable Surf to re-invent surf culture and catalyze cultural change.
We effect change through our four core programs:
Deep Blue Life
- Re-defining the sustainability narrative so that it is positive, inspiring and engaging
- In 2015 alone our message reached 78 million individuals via social media, TV, online and in print.
- Leading the surf, SUP, kite and sailboard community to build and ride high-performance ECOBOARDS
- 80+ brands have produced more than 150,000 boards since 2012, with top pros riding ECOBOARDS and winning
Waste to Waves
- Re-inventing waste as a resource, through our Waste to Waves program
- 7 product ‘up-cycling’ partnerships focused on various materials, including styrofoam, sails, wetsuits, corks
Deep Blue Events
- Changing surf contests and cultural events to be more ocean-friendly Deep Blue Events
- We established the first sustainability designation for professional water-sports events. 26 events since 2011.
Annual membership in the Stringer Society includes the following exclusive gifts:
- Special member's-only pricing on any Firewire and Slater Designs ECOBOARD surfboards
- Limited release Stringer Society organic cotton t-shirt and water bottle
- VIP invites to special events and parties throughout the year
- Free Trial Membership to the Traveler Surf Clubhouse facilities - located at Pacifica, CA
Invest further to expand our impact.
Sustainable Surf use modern tools that draw on the principles of ancient Hawaiian surfcraft:
- the board that gave birth to the act of “wave sliding”
- $5k – 10k provides resources for a specific event (i.e. Educational outreach booth at events, conferences, etc.)
- the shape that sparked the revolution of surfing
- $25k – 50k supports a specific project campaign (i.e. DIY.h2o)
- the craft reserved for Hawaiian chiefs and royalty
- $100k – 500k+ will underwrite the foundation & expansion of a flagship program (i.e. ‘The ECOBOARD Project’)
Photo: Alison Teal, Environmental Activist, Sustainable Surf Ambassador
We deliver maximum impact with the resources we’re given. Period.
“It’s the right team, at the right time – with the right vision. This organization clearly stands apart in a crowded field of me-too environmental nonprofits looking for support.”
“My investment in Sustainable Surf has delivered effective, industry-wide engagement in sustainability. This has led to a transformation in sustainable product innovation, that is fast becoming normalized within the surf industry and beyond. It's exciting to see a non-profit operating with the effect and impact of an entrepreneurial start-up.”
“The capital efficiency that the team at Sustainable Surf has demonstrated since inception puts this organization in a class by itself. Reason enough for any social impact investor to take a serious look at the effect they are having.”
Photo: Zane Schweitzer, 2x Waterman Champ, World SUP Champ, Sustainable Surf Ambassador