- Director: Spike Lee
- Notable Actors: John David Washington, Adam Driver, Laura Harrier, Ryan Eggold, Michael Buscemi
- Box Office: 90 million USD
- Related Nominations: Actor in a Supporting Role, Directing, Film Editing, Music (Original Score), Writing (Adapted Screenplay)
The Oscar's Unapologetically-Bold Nod
At first glance, "BlacKkKlansman" appears to be another run-of-the-mill Hollywood feel-good biopic. What it delivers is something far more profound.
Image courtesy of Focus Features.
- Director: Ryan Coogler
- Notable Actors: Chadwick Boseman, Michael B. Jordan, Lupita Nyong'o, Danai Gurira
- Box Office: 1.344 billion USD
- Related Nominations: Costume Design, Music (Original Score), Music (Original Song), Production Design, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing
Marvel's Crown Jewel
Black Panther (Chadwick Boseman), one of the Marvel Universe's many superheroes, becomes the King of Wakanda and embarks on a mission to stop weapons smuggler Ulysses Klaw (Andy Serkis) and restore peace in the world.
In a gorgeous collision of three genres, director Ryan Coogler brings fantasy, sci-fi and realistic fiction into a whirlwind of a movie, while making a subtle yet clear statement against racist and sexist stereotypes.
Image courtesy of Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures.
- Director: Bryan Singer
- Notable Actors: Rami Malek, Ben Hardy, Gwiml
- Box Office: 844.7 million USD
- Related Nominations: Actor in a Leading Role, Film Editing, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing
A Film That Will Rock You
"Bohemian Rhapsody" follows Freddie Mercury’s meteoric rise to fame as the lead singer of the band Queen, detailing his tumultuous personal journey and intertwining it with that of the group. The film may as well be an ode to Rami Malek’s sensational acting on top of a riveting tribute to the life and career of Freddie Mercury.
Image courtesy of 20th Century Fox.
- Director: Yorgos Lanthimos
- Notable Actors: Olivia Colman, Emma Stone, Rachel Weisz, Nicholas Hoult, Michael Gatiss
- Box Office: 69.8 million USD
- Related Nominations: Actress in a Leading Role, Actress in a Supporting Role, Cinematography, Costume Design, Directing, Film Editing, Production Design, Writing (Original Screenplay)
Hollywood's New Favourite Movie
"The Favourite" is a historical drama which follows the life of Queen Anne of Britain, as she sorts our her role as Queen during Britain's war against France. The movie follows along as her closest confidant, Lady Sarah, and her newest servant Abigail compete for Anne's attention. From the eccentric costumes to the intense scenes between the women, the movie captivates the viewer instantly.
Image courtesy of Fox Searchlight Pictures.
- Director: Peter Farelly
- Notable Actors: Viggo Mortensen, Mahershala Ali, Tony Lip, Linda Cardellini, Don Stark
- Box Office: 66 million USD
- Related Nominations: Actor in a Leading Role, Actor in a Supporting Role, Film Editing, Green Book, Writing (Original Screenplay)
A Remarkable Roadtrip through Race Relations
Nominated for five Oscar categories, the comedy and drama, "Green Book" is based on a true story. The film follows world-class black pianist Dr. Don Shirley (Mahershala Ali) and his newly hired white driver and bodyguard, Tony Vallelonga, also known as Tony Lip (Viggo Mortensen), as they embark on Shirley’s concert tour of the Deep South in 1962.
From the beautiful portrayal of the relationship between Shirley and Lip to the masterful pieces by Bowers, the movie reveals a deep message about how terrible racism and segregation was in American, in a film which will not soon be forgotten.
Image courtesy of Universal Pictures.
- Director: Alfonso Cuarón
- Notable Actors: Marina de Tavira, Yalitza Aparicio, Latin Lover, Nancy Garcia, Marco Graf
- Box Office: 3.8 million USD
- Related Nominations: Actress in a Leading Role, Actress in a Supporting Role, Cinematography, Directing, Foreign Language Film, Production Design, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, Writing (Original Screenplay)
Intricately Shot, Featuring Distinct Visuals from Personal Memories
In “Roma”, award-winning director Alfonso Cuarón carefully ties his childhood upbringing through a semi-biographical tone to the film’s plot and as a result, creating compelling visual shots that emphasize daily life and living within Mexico City during the early 70s. Through the entirety of the film, one of the most prominent connections that Cuarón makes is modeling the main character, Cleo (Yalitza Aparicio), after a woman who worked for his family and raised him.
Though Cuarón draws from his childhood experiences to voice his perspective of Roma, he decides to focus on the theme of “family life” instead of his individual upbringing. As a result, many of the plot’s events are centered around the average life of individuals and problems common to their culture and society within the 70s set Roma.
Image courtesy of Netflix.
A Star Is Born
- Director: Bradley Cooper
- Notable Actors: Bradley Cooper, Lady Gaga, Sam Elliot, David Chappelle, Anthony Ramos
- Box Office: 420 million USD
- Related Nominations: Actor in a Leading Role, Actress in a Leading Role, Actor in a Supporting Role, Cinematography, Music (Original Song), Sound Mixing, Writing (Adapted Screenplay)
Musical Drama Hits The Wrong Note
"A Star is Born" follows the lives and careers of two musicians, Jackson Maine (Bradley Cooper), a seasoned country musician, and Ally (Lady Gaga), an aspiring singer. As they fall in love, Ally’s rise to fame mirrors Jackson’s fall. Despite raving reviews, the movie falls short of expectations due to an uneventful plot, awkward dialogue and confusing timeline. Lady Gaga’s incredible singing was one of few moments that the audience could genuinely enjoy,
Image courtesy of Warner Bros. Pictures.
- Director: Adam McKay
- Notable Actors: Christian Bale, Sam Rockwell, Amy Adams, Alison Pill, Tyler Perry
- Box Office: 56 million USD
- Related Nominations: Actor in a Leading Role, Actor in a Supporting Role, Actress in a Supporting Role, Directing, Film Editing, Makeup and Hairstyling, Writing (Original Screenplay)
A Politically Charged Masterpiece
"Vice” attempts to bring the life of Dick Cheney, the 46th vice president of the United States, to the big screen, tracing his rise from a college dropout to one of the most powerful political figures of his time. Featuring deviously complex political intrigue, masterful acting by an almost unrecognizable Christian Bale as Dick Cheney, and beautifully scored by Nicholas Brittell, "Vice" is one film you won't forget."
Image courtesy of Annapurna Pictures.