Aldo Leopold's "The Land Ethic"
- Land pyramid (land is more than soil)
- Negative effects of humans on land
- Education before rules
- Conquerers of land vs citizens of land (counter-intuitive)
- "No important change in ethics was ever accomplished without an internal change in our intellectual emphasis loyalties, affections, and convictions."
- Concepts can be applied to anything in life
Unbowed: A Memoir by Wangari Muta Maathai
- government vs. individual responsibility
- idea of improvement
- Relation to Martin Luther King Jr & the fight for justice
- Green Belt Movement - http://www.greenbeltmovement.org/
- Why trees?
- Sustaining is difficult
1. Why do we have the tendency to look to the government for change? Its apparent that the public has the ability to stimulate change so why do we keep leaving problems for the government to handle if we have the power to make the changes ourselves?
2. Why is it so important that we start taking action now if the current problems are not apparent to the naked eye? Sylvia Earle talked about the depletion of the fish and the effects that will occur if we don't do something about it. What are some other reasons we should start taking action now?