Benefits of Social Media in Schools
- Social media platforms allow students to interact and share ideas without being in the same classroom
- Students can collaborate in educational discussions using social media tools
- Teachers can use certain social media platforms to stay in touch with students about assignments and upcoming events in class
- Social media can expose students to more material through videos, articles, pictures, or other web resources
- Students and teachers can connect with people around the world though video messaging platforms
Safety Tips for Social Media in Schools
- Be sure to ask your administrator before using social media in your classroom.
- Make sure students are focused on the academic use of the social media tools. Sometimes they can get distracted and use them for personal reasons.
- Teach students the importance of not posting inappropriate comments, images, or videos.
- Too much social media in the classroom can limit the students interaction with peers, face-to-face. Find a good balance between group work and collaborating on social media.
My Favorite Social Media Tools for Education
Education World http://www.educationworld.com/a_curr/study-suggests-social-media-has-place-in-classrooms.shtml
Academia Apps https://www.academiaapps.com/advantages-social-media-education/