1. What is red 40? Red 40 is a red azo dye that goes by several different names including Allura Red, Food Red 17, C.I. 16035, and FD&C Red 40. Its chemical formula is C18H14N2Na2O8S2.
2. In what foods is Red 40 found? In fruit snacks, yogurt, breakfast cereals, jams and jellies, candy and even cereal bars.
3. What can happen if overly exposed to Red40? Can cause allergic reactions, hyperactivity, immune system tumors, learning impairment, and ADHD.
4. Meal plan that is free of Red40? Frosted Flakes for breakfast, tilapia and veggies for dinner, ham and cheese sandwich for lunch. Caprisuns to drink and granola bars and Oreos for snacks.
5. Some facts.. 1) Americans are eating 5 times more amounts of food dye than they did in 1955. 2) Many food dyes have dangerous health consequences. 3) They are only added for fun and aesthetic, not for taste or health purposes.