The 442nd Memorial
Located at the Bill Santucci Justice Center in Roseville, the bronze statue, “The Rescue of the Lost Battalion,” commemorates the heroic efforts of the 442nd Regimental Combat Team for their uncommon valor and sacrifice to rescue the 1st Battalion of the 141st Infantry Regiment, which were surrounded by enemy forces during World War II.
The memorial is dedicated to the brave Japanese-American soldiers of the 442nd RCT, 100th Battalion and Military Intelligence Service and their family members relocated in internment camps.
During World War II, over 100 Japanese-Americans from Placer County served in the 442nd RCT, the most decorated unit for its size and length of service in the entire history of the U.S. military.
The memorial, made possible through a partnership between Placer County and the Placer County Japanese American Citizens League, features a 36-foot wide inlaid concrete compass, granite boulders with plaques, black granite benches, landscaping and flag poles.
Walk of Honor Memorial
Honoring the sacrifices made by the men and women of our armed forces that make our freedoms possible, the Granite Bay Community Park is now home to the newly-installed Walk of Honor memorial providing community members a place to reflect upon the sacrifices made by our nation’s military veterans and their families.
The memorial features a 50-foot pole flying the American flag flanked by five service flags representing each branch of the armed services, lined up in chronological date of their establishment.
The Walk of Honor memorial was officially debuted on Gold Star Mother’s and Family’s Day, Sept. 30, with a special dedication ceremony to honor Gold Star mothers and veterans.
“It is a privilege to have the Walk of Honor as part of the Granite Bay community. This memorial will serve as a reminder of the great sacrifice paid by the men and women of our military as well as their families.” District 4 Supervisor Kirk Uhler
The Walk of Honor memorial was conceived, designed, funded and built by the Granite Bay Rotary Club in coordination with the Placer County planning and parks divisions.
It is located on the corner of Douglas Boulevard and Barton Road in Granite Bay.
DeWitt History Museum
Located in North Auburn, the DeWitt History Museum features exhibits highlighting the DeWitt campus since it first opened as a military hospital during World War II.
Opened in February 2018, the museum, photographs and artifacts help tell the stories of the different uses of the property during different eras.
Exhibits highlight its purchase by the federal government as a World War II hospital, its subsequent purchase by the State Department of Mental Hygiene as a psychiatric hospital and its most current function as the Placer County Government Center.
Those who have memories, photographs or artifacts that would help Placer County tell the DeWitt story, or who would like to become a docent at the new museum, are encouraged to contact the museum office at 530-889-6500.
The DeWitt History Museum is open and free to the public on Wednesdays from noon to 4 p.m. It is located at 2985 Richardson Drive in North Auburn.
"Why" World War I Memorial
Located at the entrance to the Placer County Administrative Government Center in Auburn, the "Why" World War I Memorial, created by Dr. Ken Fox, is dedicated to all the fighting men of the United States of America, past, present and future.
The memorial features an eternal flame.
The memorial is located at 175 Fulweiler Avenue in Auburn.
Veteran Memorial Halls of Placer County
Placer County is home to veteran memorial halls in Auburn, Colfax, Foresthill, Lincoln, Rocklin, Roseville and Sheridan.
Not only do they serve as locations for veterans organizations such as the American Legion and Veterans of Foreign War, among others, to convene meetings and host fundraisers, they also provide information about veteran services to military veterans and their families.
Memorials halls are available to community members to rent as venues for weddings, receptions, fundraisers and other events. Learn more about our memorial halls online at https://www.placer.ca.gov/departments/facility/halls
Auburn Veterans Memorial Hall
The Auburn Veterans Memorial Hall was built in 1931 and dedicated in January 1932. The dining hall and dance floor were expanded after World War II. Portions of the hall may be rented on a space-available basis.
Auburn Reflective Memorial Site
Located to the side of the Auburn Veterans Memorial Hall, the Auburn Reflective Memorial Site features a plaque honoring Gold Star mothers, a bench, flag pole and flower beds.
The Auburn Veterans Memorial Hall is located at 100 East Street in Auburn.
Colfax Veterans Memorial Building
Built in the early 1950s, the Colfax Veterans Memorial Building has served as the site for many veterans meetings, fundraisers, celebrations, and commemorations. The community has also used the building for many occasions, from dances to county immunization clinics.
Portions of the building may be rented on a space-available basis.
The building is located at 22 Sunset Circle in Colfax.
Foresthill Veterans Memorial Hall
This Foresthill Veterans Memorial Hall is considered by many local residents to be the heart of the Foresthill community. The building is used for many veterans, county, community and family events and celebrations. The building is one block north of the Foresthill main business strip and is on the same grounds as the Foresthill Park and the Forest Hill Divide Museum. Portions of the hall may be rented on a space-available basis.
The Foresthill Veterans Memorial Hall is located at 24601 Harrison Street in Foresthill.
Roseville Veterans Memorial Building
The Roseville Veterans Memorial Building was originally built in 1929 and later expanded to its current configuration in 1949. It features a main hall, two lodge rooms, a fireplace room, service office and basement will full kitchen.
The memorial building is home to the Alyn W. Butler American Legion Post 169, Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 1487, Vietnam Veterans of America Chapter 500, Fleet Reserve Association Sunrise Branch Unit #230 and Ladies Auxiliary of the Fleet Reserve Association.
The Roseville Veterans Memorial Building is located at 110 Park Drive in Roseville.
Veterans Service Office
Our Veterans Service Office promotes the interest and welfare of veterans, their dependents and their survivors by enhancing their quality of life through counseling, education, benefits assistance and advocacy.
VSO staff connect veterans to their benefits by assisting in their interactions with the Department of Veterans Affairs, and hope to make easier the process of applying for benefits like health care and pensions.
Placer County is also committed to finding a home for every veteran who wants one. Through the Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing Program, which provides rental assistance vouchers, the resources are there to do it. But there aren’t currently enough landlords in the program to place the qualified vets.
Interested landlords can learn about the program by visiting placer.ca.gov/veteranshousing. Watch the following video for more information.
Learn more about the services provided to veterans and their families as well as office hours at https://www.placer.ca.gov/departments/veterans
Our Veterans Service Office is located at 1000 Sunset Blvd., Suite 115 in Rocklin.