Reflective Journal Week 3 (20/03/2017)

Monday 20th March: What? Today we received feedback on our presentation from Jason Barlow our tutor. From the feedback our biggest improvement point was that our target audience is much too broad and needs to be narrowed down if we are to be successful. I did understand this as it was 14-50 which is quite a gap. The second thing was that I looked at the board sometimes to have a look on what to say next. I think this was down to confidence as I was pretty nervous going into the presentation.

So what? Having this information will allow me to grow as a student and learn from my mistakes. I can work on refining the target audience to create a much more focused game.

Now what? I can now move on with my project and take these development points into consideration when doing my next presentation. I will also make sure what I say in my proposal document correlates perfectly with what I say in the presentation.

Tuesday 21st March: What? Today I began creating some sort of "wall" in 3DS max so that we could add more structure to our level. I really wanted to create something oriental, but also something that would give me a problem to solve in 3DS.

Pattern inspiration for fence

Inspired by images such as the ones above I set out to create an oriental fence that incorporates a similar pattern. I first created a frame that would contain the pattern using the basic tools in 3DS Max. I first create a plane and then extrude it out to create a post like shape. Using "bevel" which is a like extrude except it allows you to angle in the face to follow a temple like motion I was able to make a simple but effective post.

I then used the subdivisions and created a beam to run across the top of the frame and then used symmetry to flip over the post and beam and make a "n" type shape to where my pattern could fit in the gap at the bottom.

Frame for fence

Having previous experience with patterns such as this I knew I would have to find a more efficient method for myself. Before when I tried something like this I used the "Cut" tool and created each individual section myself, however this took way too long and just wasn't viable giving the timescale of the project. I then came up with an idea to subdivide my shape with both width and length segments and this would allow me to select faces all across the plane. I then selected desired faces and used the "inset" tool before deleting the face. This left me with a little trim around the edge of the face and allowed me to create whatever square like pattern I wanted really fast. Once I had my pattern I then extruded out the trim to give it some thickness and make it a 3D shape.

Finished fence model

So What? In achieving this I was able to challenge myself and come up with a viable and effective solution to a problem. Which in a way proves to me I am now quite efficient in modeling as much of it is down to problem solving.

I will also be able to continue using this method with regards to any other oriental style pattern I wish to create in my project, however the next time having already done it once I will be able to complete it even faster and get better results.

Now what? Now my model is ready to be unwrapped and textured, I do wish that I would have already unwrapped my object as I was making it and its something I will begin to do.

Having this fence will allow us to place it into unreal and use it to form more of a solid perimeter that will allow us to gauge the exact size of our level. Once we know this we will then be able to fill that level with foliage and other assets.

Wednesday 22nd March: What? Today I focused on writing this right now :) I thought it would be a good day to write out my journal for the week as we don't have access to the software needed to do some of the task that need completing.

A little overview: This week I had quite a bit going on in my personal life so I didn't do as much as I would have liked, however I will make up for it next week for sure.

I did however prove I am able to solve problems and come up with more efficient solutions, I seem to find myself looking at objects in real life and wondering how I could model that shape, which is both good and weird.

Technically I did do what I set out to do with creating a fence which we could use to gauge the size of our level and I am most definitely happy with the outcome, but on the other hand I think I could have pushed myself much further this week and so failed in certain aspects.

Credits:

Jordan Watkins

Report Abuse

If you feel that this video content violates the Adobe Terms of Use, you may report this content by filling out this quick form.

To report a Copyright Violation, please follow Section 17 in the Terms of Use.