Keep an eye out for artwork shared by your colleagues in the middle division. We'll be featuring our OWN work as profile pics on various platforms, and we welcome your submissions. Send us a JPG at NAEAMiddleLevel@gmail.com and we'll add your work to the rotation.
SUmmer book chat
Throughout the month of July, we'll be hosting a discussion of Rachel Branham's "What's So Great About Art, Anyway?"
Cover image from Teachers College Press
Refer to our Facebook EVENT page for updates/comments: https://tinyurl.com/yc65uvq5
The book chat has been divided into 3 sessions:
- Prologue - Ch. 3 (July 1-7)
- Chapter 4 - Ch. 8 (July 8-14)
- Chapter 9 - Ch. 11 (July 15)
Everyone is invited to access our discussion questions in our GOOGLE CLASSROOM (code: hrb2x2).
Join our Google Classroom with course code: hrb2x2
Questions? Suggestions? Log-in issues? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Branham, R. (2016). What's so great about art, anyway?: A teachers odyssey. New York: Teachers College Press, Teachers College, Columbia University.
Session Proposals have been submitted!
Our Division Line-up Will include:
- Middle Medley I: An Art Room for All. Join this round-robin of essential discussions about fostering equitable learning environments that welcome ALL students. Join our panel of educators as they inspire us to adapt to meet students’ needs.
- Middle Medley II: Promising Practices. Prepare for a whirlwind of inspiration as this round-robin event introduces you to middle level educators from across NAEA. Explore topics of curriculum, assessment and student engagement all at once.
- Y’all Means All : Safe Spaces, GSAs, and the Middle School Art Room. The Middle Division and LGBTQ+ have partnered to bring you this interactive session, which will provide strategies and supports for establishing and maintaining a safe, welcoming environment for all students.
- Escape the (ART)room! Game Design for the K-12 Art Classroom. Someone's gone missing! We need your help to solve the mystery! Enter this immersive experience in which our K-12 divisions examine the potential for game design in the art classroom.
- Conversation with Colleagues: A Middle Level Meet-Up. Connect with your fellow middle level educators in this open-ended, discussion-based session. Share your voice with divisional leaders, gain insights into issues facing our division, and explore ongoing division initiatives.
- Excellence in Our Midst: Middle Level Awardee Showcase. Seize this opportunity to learn from the BEST! Our National and Regional Middle Level award winners open their classrooms to share best practices and strategies for establishing exceptional art programs.
This year our division will be hosting only TWO medleys: "An Art Room for All" and "Promising Practices." Our presenting team will be assembled in the Fall. Look for our "Call for Presenters" to go out shortly after the notification letters for #NAEA19 presenters are mailed. (The reasoning here is that some members' proposals may not have been accepted, and the Medleys offer an alternative opportunity to participate in the convention.)
Other division news
2018 NAHS/NJAHS Juried Exhibition
from the Virtual Gallery: https://nahs.artcall.org/
From the Press Release: "The third annual National Art Honor Society/National Junior Art Honor Society (NAHS/NJAHS) Juried Exhibition showcases the artwork of talented student artists who are members of the NAHS/NJAHS programs. This competitive exhibit provides a backdrop to a variety of national and local events held at the NAEA Studio & Gallery in Alexandria, VA during the summer months."
"NAEA received 1,160 submissions and 66 works have been selected for exhibition in the NAEA Studio and Gallery. All submissions are featured in the NAEA Virtual Gallery."
Selected work by student artist, Micheal Marchie, sponsored by Sharon Miller of Grand Prairie Fine Arts Academy
Selected work by student artist, Thalia Anora, sponsored by Jayme Rodriguez of Sudbrook Magnet Middle School
- Check out our NJAHS Sponsor Forum on Facebook! We're looking to connect with chapter sponsors, soon-to-be chapter sponsors, and folks just curious about the whole art honor society thing.
- Follow our "NJAHS SPONSOR FORUM" Pinterest Board. We are constantly adding resources to share, and we hope to build this resource over the coming months and years. If you'd like to be added as a contributor, email email@example.com
Fabulous Faculty | A Spotlight Series
Summer's FABULOUS FACULTY is:
Crockett Middle School | Hamilton, New Jersey
We asked ms. Durr to share the qualities that make her classroom a special place to learn and create?
A student recently said to me “Your class is so much harder than the others – I have to THINK here, I leave so tired!” I took this as a major compliment!