The $700 partial grant funds were used to purchase substitute teachers to allow Westtown-Thornbury Elementary’s Positive Behavioral Supports and Interventions Core Team to meet and plan with a PBIS representative from the Chester County Intermediate Unit.
- The creation of a school-wide PBIS mission statement (Goal 1).
- The development of a new school theme & student motto (Goal 3).
- The design of a school-wide Behavior Matrix (Goals 1 & 3).
- Building school-wide lesson plans to be used to introduce and teach PBIS expectations to students (Goal 3).
- The development of a system for acknowledging and rewarding positive student behaviors (Goal 1).
- Writing a new school song to introduce and teach PBIS expectations to students (Goal 3).
- The creation of a system of interventions for negative student behaviors (Goal 1).
- Obtaining and analyzing school-wide behavioral data to facilitate decision making (Goal 2).
Grant Funding Outcomes & Accomplishments
PBIS TEAM MISSION STATEMENT
The mission of the Westtown-Thornbury PBIS Core Team is to implement and uphold a positive learning environment for all students and staff. We are committed to utilizing the five research-based components of PBIS within our school’s framework. This will be achieved by teaching behavioral and social expectations, and acknowledging outcomes, which will enhance student growth.
Within the original grant proposal, it was a goal to digitally track student behavior data, in both classroom and non-classroom settings, through use of the SWISS Data Management System. Due to partial grant funding, we were unable to purchase this program to track student data. However, through teacher fundraising, we were able to obtain this program to begin use at the beginning of the 2019-2020 school year.
In harmony with this goal, the PBIS Core Team was able to survey all WTE staff members in regards to student behavior and school climate. Through use of this data, behavior trends were identified in order to target student, classroom, or school-wide needs with the intention of putting an intervention in place to promote a positive change. This data was used to create the above behavior matrix, lesson plans, as well as systems for both positive and negative student behavior.