Above: The track season is well underway! On Tuesday, May 18th, Baker hosted its first track meet of the school year. We enjoyed a beautiful afternoon, great weather and great competition. It was nice seeing the return of spring sports while enjoying some much need time outside!
Change in Weekly Schedule
As stated in the district Secondary Schedule Change email from Kerry Birmingham, the following changes to our weekly schedule will take place starting Monday, May 24th:
- Wednesdays are no longer virtual days -- All in-seat students will have the opportunity to attend class in person on Wednesdays (all five days will be offered in-person). Students can still elect to remain virtual on Wednesdays, if they choose.
- Friday May 28th will remain a Virtual Day.
- Student support time will be offered in person for current in-seat students for the remainder of the year (note: busses will continue to run on the same schedule they do now, so students who opt to stay for student support will report to the cafeteria to wait for teachers until the appropriate time. They will also need to provide their own transportation home).
- There will continue to be NO student support on Wednesdays.
One Troy Loves our Teachers
Baker PTO Information
If you would like to get involved as a volunteer or receive more information about the PTO, please contact the board at firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to join the PTO Facebook Group: BakerMS PTO 2020-21.
May 24th at 7pm
The May PTO meeting will be the final meeting of the 2020-2021 school year. Please click on the above link at the scheduled meeting time to attend. See you then!
8th Grade Celebration Parade
Our 8th grade celebration is quickly approching and we need your help! Please take a moment to click on the link above and review the available slots where volunteers are needed. If you or a family member are free on June 14, 2021 between 2:00 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. we would love for you to help us.
If you have any questions please feel free to reach out to Rose Deliu at email@example.com
8th Grade Parade Shout-Outs
Promotion Shout outs will be announced over a loud speaker by the 8th Grade Parade DJ as students enter the parent loop. Please click on the above link and follow the directions below to request and purchase a shout out for your student.
- Download the form, type what you would like read off during the 8th grade parade with payment sent via cash to the Baker Middle School office or sent PayPal to @rosedeliu.
- The form and payment must be received and approved June 3, 2021 at 3 pm.
- “Shout outs” cannot exceed 25 words. Please be advised that all “Shout Outs” submitted will be subject to editorial approval.
Log Off and Lace Up
There's still time to Log Off & Lace Up. Sign up at logoffandlaceup.weebly.com and run before May 31! Don’t forget to tweet out when you complete your run and tag @logoff_laceup!
End of the Year Important Dates
Materials Return: Thurs. 6/10
- The Baker materials return day is scheduled for Thursday, June 10th from 2 - 3:30 pm in the gym. Virtual and in-seat students will be able to drop off their books, instruments, and other loaned materials from the school year. More information will be available as we get closer to this event.
8th Grade Celebration Parade: Mon. 6/14
- The 8th grade celebration parade is scheduled for Monday, June 14th from 4:30 - 6 pm. Virtual and in-seat 8th grade students and their families are invited to attend.
- If it rains on June 14th, we will move the celebration parade to Tuesday, June 15th.
- The planning for the promotion/parade is underway! You can find all updated information on the planning committee's Facebook page using the link above. They are asking each parent to donate $5-$20 for the celebration.
Virtual 8th Grade Promotion Ceremony: Mon. 6/14
- The 8th grade virtual promotion ceremony is scheduled for Monday, June 14th. It will be pre-recorded and premiered on multiple platforms at 7:30 pm. More information will be available as we get closer to the event.
Last Week of School
- Monday, June 14th - 1/2 Day: In-Seat (A Day)
- Tuesday, June 15th - 1/2 Day: In-Seat (B Day)
- Wednesday, June 16th - (The last day of school) 1/2 Day: In-Seat (C Day)
Adventure Island: August 16th - 19th
- We are planning to run Adventure Island on the dates of August 16-19, 2021 for all 6th and any 7th graders who are interested. More information will be available as we get closer to the end of the school year.
- This year the program will be offered for FREE!
- The program runs from 9-12 am each day Monday – Thursday.
Last Call for Yearbook Orders
Don’t miss out. Order yours today to ensure you recieve a copy!
This is a last call to order a yearbook and guarantee a copy. This has definitely been a year like no other. What better way to mark the end to this school year, then by having a yearbook that documents this crazy year.
The yearbook will not only will be a way for you to enjoy the memories of the school year now, but it will also serve as a reference book to look back on, as you remember the school year that Zoomed by, while living in a pandemic. To order, click on the link above.
Sound Power Camp
Sound Power! 2021 is open for registration. Our annual band and orchestra camp is for all current 5th, 6th, and 7th graders in band and orchestra and will be at Baker Middle School August 2-6. Come and perform with your friends and musicians from all four Troy Middle Schools. See Dr. Xydas for more information.
Temporary Discount on Broadband Internet Bills
The FCC is launching a program that provides up to a $50/month discount on home internet services for eligible families.
The Emergency Broadband Benefit Program is a Federal Communications Commission (FCC) program that provides a temporary discount on monthly broadband internet bills for qualifying low-income households. If your household is eligible, you can receive:
- Up to a $50/month discount on your broadband service and associated equipment rentals
- A one-time discount of up to $100 for a laptop, tablet, or desktop computer (with a co-payment of more than $10 but less than $50)
- Only one monthly service discount and one device discount is allowed per household.
The FCC has announced that consumers can begin applying for and enrolling in the Emergency Broadband Benefit Program. The program will end when the fund runs out of money, or six months after the Department of Health and Human Services declares an end to the COVID-19 health emergency, whichever is sooner. Details about the program, qualifications, and directions to apply can be found in the following links.
Apply for discounts at this link below
Additional discount information available at the link below
Baker Middle School Return to Learn Family Guidebook
Daily Health Screening
As a part of our Return to Learn Plan, all students attending school in-person, will need to complete a daily health screening. Please note that you only have to submit the screening on the days your student is physically in class. It's very important that you do this by 7:45 am. Students will not be able to attend school in-person if the screenings are not done. This is not intended to be punitive in any way, but it is a critical measure in protecting the safety of all.
DAILY STUDENT HEALTH ASSESSMENT INSTRUCTIONS:
- Log in to your Parent Portal on PowerSchool
- Click “Student Assessment” in the banner across the top
- Answer 4 questions about your student’s health that day
- Click submit (and repeat the process for every student in your family)
It’s very important that you keep your student home if you answer “Yes” to any of the questions or your child is ill in any way. Don't forget--this doesn't mean they have to miss school. They can simply join virtually from home as they have been doing so far. We considered this in the designing of our hybrid plan.
Please call 248.823.4601 to report absences
Attendance is an important factor in your students academic success. Regular and punctual attendance is an expectation for our learning environment, regardless of the format! All student absences must be called in to our attendance hotline before school starts, the morning of your student’s absence (248.823.4601). The attendance hotline is available 24 hours per day.