1. Artist- Country Joe McDonald
2. Song Title- The Fish Cheer: I Feel Like I'm Fixin' To Die
3.Release Date- November 1967
4. Other Songs- Agent Orange Song
5. Meaning of Lyrics- McDonald is, in a way, making fun of the government, because he says "what are we fighting for?" and responds with "don't ask me", which reflects the idea that most Americans believe that the war is pointless and we do not gain anything from it. He uses this song to try and show the Americans that they should begin to question why we are involved in this war.
Lyrics- And it's one, two, three, what are we fighting for?
Don't ask me, I don't give a damn, next stop is Vietnam
And it's five, six, seven, open up the pearly gates
Well there ain't no time to wonder why
Whoopee! we're all gonna die.
6. Reflection of Time Period- This song is about the Vietnam War and how people should not be fighting. This reflects the counterculture participants who were against the war and wanted peace.
7. What was Taking Place- When this song was recorded when the Vietnam War was taking place.
8. Overall Message- Country Joe McDonald is trying to convey to the American people that this war is doing no good for our country and we are rapidly losing American lives. Also, that we are sending more and more troops without giving it any thought and the troops and families should just go along with it.