Portfolio Kathryn Coveney


The photogram unit was the first unit so we weren't familiar with the equipment yet. In this unit I struggles to get the picture dark enough to come out. However, I like that the background isn't very dark becuase it draws attention to the glass turtle paperweight which did come out darker. I also liked this unit becuase it was fun going home, looking through my room, and finding objects that I could use for a photogram.


The texture unit was the first unit where we used the cameras. I struggled to get the camera to focus well because texture photos are mainly close-ups. I liked this unit because it incorporated many diverse photos. The world has countless different textures from rough to smooth allowing a lot of variety. For this unit I took pictures of objects that all had a rough textures. Rough textures are more defined resulting in the photos coming out more clearly.


The landscape unit was one of my favorite units. I liked being able to get out and drive around to take photos. I also liked this unit because we went on a field trip to Tower Hill and had the opportunity to make art out of art. Landscape was a challenging unit because often a landscape goes far back into the distance and it's hard to get the camera to focus. In my landscape photos I often tried to have a single non organic stationary object to be the focus of the picture with the landscape going back in the distance.


I like the portrait unit because you have the option to stage a photo or simple capture a moment. I like how a portrait photo can capture an emotion. Although portraits are mostly happy I like being able to capture other emotions such as confusion. It was also fun to stage a photo and set up what I wanted to take a picture of.

Double negatives

Double negatives was defiantly the most challenging unit. I decided not to take another role of film for this unit so that I would have enough for the final project but as a result of that I had to figure out how to make a creative image out of what I already had. With many of the pictures I took negatives that were very similar and put them together to show the same picture but just from a different angle. I liked how when I overlapped a vertical photo with a horizontal photo it showed the boarder of the film on either side creating a more vintage affect.

Final Project

For the final project it took me a while to decide what I was going to do. I knew that I wanted to do some kind or collage but I wasn't sure what. My original idea was to take a face with two different emotions to make a new face. Then I got the idea to put together two objects that were each parts of a word to form a compound word. At first I wanted to weave the photos together but that became to difficult so I decided to just make them half and half. I like how the project has a creative aspect but it also has a numerous aspect.


Made with Adobe Slate

Make your words and images move.

Get Slate

Report Abuse

If you feel that this video content violates the Adobe Terms of Use, you may report this content by filling out this quick form.

To report a Copyright Violation, please follow Section 17 in the Terms of Use.