Academics at Gould
Gould’s academic program is dedicated to meeting the needs of each student. The small size of the school, dedicated faculty, and individualized approach allow the school to meet students where they are along the continuum of academic and social development. With an ambitious breadth of programming—notably so for a small school—the focus is on challenging students to try new pursuits where they often discover their passions.
- Challenging core curriculum with 11 AP courses
- Blended learning emphasis that provides students the opportunity to explore opportunities beyond the confines of campus
- The Marlon Family IDEAS Center—a makerspace with the fabrication and digital tools required for success in a world that is increasingly reliant on ideas, analysis, design, and innovation
- Academic Skills Program, Writing Center, Math Center, World Languages Center, and supervised dorm study
- Place-based learning and creative offerings that combine academic courses and co-curricular activities
- Extensive and ambitious Arts offerings, from ceramics and metal design to photography and individual art studios for students working on portfolios
- Gallery space and visits by alumni and visiting artists
- Distance learning partnership with The Manhattan School of Music
- All-Steinway School designation, with 11 Steinway pianos on campus
From mountain biking, lacrosse, and soccer to skateboarding, equestrian, and ski patrol, Gould offers diverse athletic opportunities so that each student can discover or develop their passions. Each student is required to participate in a sport or activity every trimester, in keeping with the school’s philosophy that learning through experience is not only valuable but also an essential part of adolescent growth and development.
In addition to enjoying the lakes, rivers, woods, and mountains right in our backyard, Gould enjoys great outdoor facilities on campus as well:
- Tennis courts (4)
- Athletic fields (4)
- Artificial turf field
- Baseball and softball diamonds
- 18-hole DGA disc golf course
- 40km of mountain biking and Nordic ski trails on campus
From the moment a new student arrives on campus, that student becomes a genuine explorer. Orientation trips whisk them away on an introductory backpacking or canoe trip. And there are numerous opportunities throughout the school year to get outside.
Our location in the White Mountains of western Maine gives us a unique outdoor classroom right at our doorstep. At Gould, students celebrate each other, take risks, experiment, because we know that education is about the journey, about being in the NOW. We celebrate the learning process, not just the outcomes.
- Outing Club
- Weekend trips to surf, rock climb, camp, canoe, or other adventures
- Certification in Wilderness First Aid, Wilderness First Responder, Adaptive Ski Instructing, and Avalanche Safety
- Community Service
- International travel and exchanges
Gould’s Four Point Program is a 30-year tradition where students in each class embark on a journey of self-discovery.