In the final tuneup before the 2018 UAA Indoor Track & Field Championships, the UChicago men's team easily topped the field at the Margaret Bradley Invite Feb. 17, led by Nate Downey's record-setting pole vault.
2018 UAA Indoor Track & Field Championships
- When: Saturday-Sunday, Feb. 24-25, 2018
- Where: Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio
With its eyes set on its first UAA Indoor Championship since 2015, the Maroon women swept the field at the Margaret Bradley Invitational, winning 10 events.
2018 UAA Indoor Track & Field Championships
- When: Saturday-Sunday, Feb. 24-25
- Where: Cleveland, Ohio, Case Western Reserve University
AYOOLA EARNS SCHOLARSHIP
Ade Ayoola named one of 49 Knight-Hennessy Scholars at Stanford University
Make it 20-straight wins for #10 UChicago, who defeated Carnegie Mellon and Brandeis last weekend to clinch sole possession of the UAA regular-season title. The Maroons (22-2) host rival Washington-St. Louis Saturday in the regular-season finale.
- Saturday, Feb. 24: Washington-St. Louis at #10 UChicago, 1 PM CT (Senior Day)
#11 UChicago 70, Carnegie Mellon 51
- Sophomore Mia Farrell led the the way with 16 points, four rebounds and three steals, classmate Taylor Lake added 12 points and nine boards and junior forward Olariche Obi chipped in 10 points, six boards, six steals and three blocks in the effort.
#11 UChicago 73, Case Western Reserve 35
- First-year Marissa Igunbor posted her first career double-double with season highs of 19 points and 12 rebounds. Junior forward Olariche Obi's 11 points and 10 rebounds resulted in her 13th double-double of the season. First-year forward Meaghan O'Hara posted a well-rounded stat line of eight points, seven rebounds and three blocks.
MAROON MEN 4TH at UAAs
UChicago men's swimming & diving teams had six student-athletes capture nine total all-UAA finishes to lead the Maroons to a fourth-place finish at a tough conference championship meet in Atlanta, Ga.
- Friday-Saturday, Feb. 23-24: Midwest Invitational at UChicago, 6PM & 11A / 5 PM
Men's All-UAA Finishes (Top 3)
- 200 IM: 2, Lance Culjat, 1:50.61; 3, Keda Song, 1:51.10
- 100 breaststroke: 1, Reona Yamaguchi, 55.02
- 800 freestyle relay: 2, Lance Culjat, Keda Song, Keenan Novis, Taye Baldinazzo, 6:43.22
- 200-yard Breaststroke – Lance Culjat (1st, 2:01.04)
- 100-yard Freestyle – Alexander Farrell (3rd, 45.01)
MAROON WOMEN SOLID AT UAA 'SHIPS
The UChicago women's swimming & diving team also took fourth place at the 2018 UAA Championships, led by six student-athletes who earned a total of eight all-UAA finishes.
- Friday-Saturday, Feb. 23-24: Midwest Invitational at UChicago
Women's All-UAA Finishes (Top 3)
- 1-meter diving: 3, Natalie DeMuro, 439.45
- 3-meter diving: 2, Natalie DeMuro, 483.45
- 200 free relay: 3, Nicole Lin, Daria Wick, Gillian Gagnard, Yifan Mao, 1:35.92
- 200-yard Breaststroke – Margaret Wolfson (3rd, 2:19.52)
- 200-yard Backstroke – Gillian Gagnard (3rd, 2:02.12)
The UChicago tennis teams continued their strong start to the spring season with a perfect 15-0 record combined with two more dual wins over DePauw and Coe last week.
MEN'S NEXT MATCHES:
ITA Division III Men's Tennis National Team Indoor Championship
- Where: St. Peter, Minn.
- Friday, Feb. 23: #9 UChicago vs. #10 Carnegie Mellon, 3:30PM CT
- Saturday, Feb. 24: #9 UChicago vs. TBA
- Sunday, Feb. 25: #9 UChicago vs. TBA
UChicago Men's Tennis 9, DePauw 0 / UChicago Women's Tennis 6, DePauw 3
LEGENDS WEEKEND SUCCESS
The Maroons men's basketball team invited its alumni back to campus for its annual Legends Weekend and UChicago did not disappoint, going a perfect 2-0 in wins over Carnegie Mellon and Case Western Reserve.
- Saturday, Feb. 24: #2 Washington-St. Louis at UChicago, 3 PM CT (Senior Day)
UChicago 86, Carnegie Mellon 70
- A balanced scoring effort saw six different players with at least eight points. Collin Barthel posted a team-best 13 points and eight rebounds.
- Ryan Jacobsen factored in with 12 points and five rebounds.
- Jake Fenlon and junior guard Noah Karras put up 11 points apiece.
- Junior guard Max Jacobs added nine points while getting the nod in the starting lineup.
- Sam Sustacek tallied eight points and seven rebounds, and Jordan Baum submitted a well-rounded six-point, seven-assist, six-rebound effort.
UChicago 98, Case Western Reserve 78
- Collin Barthel finished a crisp 6-of-12 from the field and added six boards and two assists.
- Classmate Jake Fenlon added 19 points – draining four 3s – and Jordan Baum added 13 points on 5-of-6 shooting to go with six rebounds and four assists.
- Rounding out double-figure scoring for the Maroons was Noah Karras off the bench with 10 points.
ONWARD TO REGIONALS
After an off week, the Maroon wrestling team heads to Minneapolis, Minn., for the two-day NCAA Upper Midwest Regional hosted by Augsburg. UChicago wrestlers will compete for their chance to go to the NCAA Division III Championships, held March 9-10 in Cleveland, Ohio.
2018 NCAA Upper Midwest Regional
- When: Friday-Saturday, Feb. 23-24.
- Where: Augsburg Colllege, Minneapolis, Minn.
- What's at Stake: The top three finishers at each weight class will advance to the NCAA nationals.
The UChicago baseball team kicks off its 2018 campaign Sunday in Missouri with a twin bill, facing off with Dominican and Fontbonne.
- Where: O'Fallon, Mo.
- When: Sunday, Feb. 25
- Schedule: UChicago vs. Dominican, 1 PM \ UChicago vs. Fontbonne, 4 PM
"Our guys worked hard on their individual approaches at the plate and embraced the offensive philosophy that revolves around putting the ball in play and working at-bats. Our strikeouts were down significantly and we put the ball in play with more frequency, which moved runners and allowed us to score multiple runs in an inning. Coach Paul Stevens has done a fantastic job getting our players to understand and execute that offensive philosophy over the last few years, which has made quite an impact." - Head Coach John Fitzgerald